Well, getting down to the wire in getting ready for the Driftless Art Fair, this weekend; I decided to put a linen warp on the little Glimakra for a linen transparency. I’ve been dying to use my silk and stainless steel yarn from Habu and what better time. Never done a fine gauzey weave or actually woven much with linen. Then to top it off I had the brilliant idea to make this a double weave (also never done) and in some of the pockets place some 3×3″ clear textured glass pieces. Pretty sure I could dig up the perfect glass in my studio from my former (30 years) stained glass passion.
This all seemed pretty doable in my imagination, despite not truely understanding much in the book Doubleweave. Figured it was just one of those things that is best to learn by doing. After struggling with the sectional beam (just not very familiar with it) I got the warp on and was even managing to make two layers of fabric. Cool. Didn’t quite figure out how to get my edges open or make slits where I wanted to insert the glass. Actually I had to abandon the whole idea because everytime I started on the doubleweave it became too dense for the light airy window covering I was envisioning. I pretty much liked how it looked without the glass in the pockets concept, so on with plan B. Always good to have a plan B. However, I am determinged to give this another try, when I’m not under the gun for an art fair.